Monday 23 March 2009

Goin’ Viral

So you want a million people to watch your ad.

Not only watch it. You want them to pass it on and share it with their friends. You want people to love your ad, and love your brand and love the thing they’re watching. It’s a tidy little piece of communications that they can send in lieu of a joke, or a wink, a nudge, or hello.

Give me viral! I want viral! Put our same ol’ same ol’ on Youtube and make it work. It’s not that simple. I'll show you through a few examples:

1. Dramatic Chipmunk



This spot had millions upon millions of hits on Youtube. It’ s hilarious, yet impossible to replicate. Its unpredictability is its strong suit.

2. Pinky the Cat



I think this is one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.

It was passed on, parodied, it became part of our culture.

However, sometimes you can engineer a viral ad. But it had better be a really good idea.

3. Collegehumor.com